|Bankole Ajibabi Omotosho
Author of novellas, short stories, plays, historical novels, and other booksBankole Ajibabi Omotoso was born in 1943, into a traditional êlite Yoruba family in Akure, Nigeria.
Professor at the Drama Department, Stellenbosch University
Well known throughout South Africa as the yebo gogo man, the sardonic roadside salesman in the TV commercial
He studied at the University of Ibadau, Nigeria (BA Hons) and obtained a PhD in Arabic Literature with a thesis on the modern Arabic novelist and playwright, Ali Ahmad Ba-Kathhir, at the University of Edinburgh in 1972.
1972 - 1976: Lecturer at the Department of Arabic and Islamic Studies, University of Ibadau, Nigeria
1976 - 1988: Senior Lecturer and Head of the Department of Drama and Director of the Life University Theatre (now Obafemi Awolowo University)
1989 - 1990: Visiting Professor, English Department, University of Stirling, Scotland.
1990 August to December: Visiting Professor, English Departement, University of Lesotho Roma, Lesotho
1991: Tawala Theatre, London
1991- 2000: Professor, English Department, University of the Western Cape
2001: Professor at the Drama Department, Stellenbosch University
When his historical novel about Nigeria, Just before Dawn, caused a storm of controversy, Kole found life in his country intolerable and he left for South Africa. Kole is married and has three children.
List of books:
- The Edifice (1971)
- The Combat (1972)
- Miracles (short stories) (1973)
- Fella's Choice (1974)
- Sacrifice (1974, 1978)
- The Scales (1976)
- To Borrow a Wandering Leaf (1978)
- Memories of Our Recent Boom (1982)
- Just Before Dawn (1988)
- The Curse (1976)
- Shadows in the Horizon (1977)
- The Form of the African Novel (1979 etc.)
- The Theatrical Into Theatre: a study of the drama and theatre of the English-speaking Caribbean (1982)
- Season of Migration to the South: Africa's crises reconsidered (1994)
- Acehebe or Soyinka? a study in contrasts (1995)
- Woza Africa (1997)